Thursday 14 March 2013

The first forty kilometres


I used to play a very fun computer game back in the day called "Road Rash." The premise was that you were a street racing motorcyclist attempting to beat several competitors on the highway. While avoiding passing motorists and other hazards, you had to fend off attacks from opposing racers, who were equipped with bats, pipes, and chains.

Yesterday I hit the mean streets of Abbotsford and rode my first 40 km day. It wasn't too bad, but it's a far cry from the longest day in Europe (130 km). I think I might start carrying a baseball bat, or at least some pepper spray. While trying to share the road with passing garbage trucks and irate drivers, I was chased by two very hungry looking Rottweilers. I've got to thank wounded warriors for setting me up with a fast enough bike, or I might have been dog food.

Thanks for all the help Rob!
Speaking of thanking people, I really need to thank Rob Wright with South Shore Cycle for completely fitting and assembling my Cervelo S2.

I'd also like to thank my sister Natasha and Mike Porter at Cadence Vancouver for all the training tips and free spin classes. Seriously, if you're interested in an intense 45 minute workout, check them out.



The gears are moving, and I've realized just how soon it is until I'm going to be riding for real. However, I think I'm starting to pick up some momentum, and I should be in fine shape soon enough. Everyone, thanks again for the awesome feedback and encouragement in regards to the blog, and the whole project in general. I have some fun ideas for fundraising, with most of them involving beer and chicken wings, so I'll keep you all posted as we get along. Also, if you pass by an awkward looking cyclist dressed in all back and green long underwear (I don't have proper leggings yet), please be gracious and don't run me off the road.









 







No comments:

Post a Comment